Approved in 02.10.2017 by Decision No. 5 of
Western Caspian University’s
Board of Trustees
REGULATION CONCERNING THE ACADEMIC COUNCIL
OF WESTERN CASPIAN UNIVERSITY
- This regulation defines the main directions, rights, and tasks of creating and organizing the activities of the Academic Council (hereinafter - Academic Council) of the Western Caspian University (hereinafter - University).
- The Regulation Concerning the Academic Council of the University was approved by the Charter of the University, the Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan “On Education,” in accordance with the Decree of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan, dated June 13, 2000 No. 349 - “On Improving the Education System in the Republic of Azerbaijan” and in accordance with the Decree of the Minister of Education of the Republic of Azerbaijan dated November 10, 1997 No. 792.
- The Academic Council is the highest governing body for the educational and training process of the University. The rector of the University heads the Academic Council.
- The Academic Council’s term of office is 5 years. Early re-establishment of the Academic Council may be carried out at the request of at least 2/3 of its members.
- The composition of the Academic Council is approved by the Board of Founders.
- The procedure for the election to the Academic Council, its rights and obligations, are approved by Order No. 792 of the Minister of Education of the Republic of Azerbaijan on November 10, 1997, provided that it does not contradict the “Regulation on the Academic Council of a Higher Educational Institution,” as determined below:
- The Academic Council includes the rector (chairman) of the University, vice-rector (deputy chairman) for academic work, vice-rectors, academic secretary, deans, heads of branches, and other structural divisions, chairmen of the student youth organization, Student Academic Society, educational and methodological council. Other members of the Academic Council may constitute 3-10% of the total number of faculty and academic staff of the University. This amount is determined by the board of founders depending on the number of faculty and academic staff.
- Candidates for Academic Councils are elected by secret ballot at a general meeting of faculty and academic staff of each school (faculty), branch, or corresponding structural unit.
- The Academic Council of the University:
- Approves the internal disciplinary rules of the university staff (students, teachers, employees, doctoral students, and students);
- In addition to the Regulations of the Grand Council, the Board of Trustees and the Academic Council approves the Regulations, instructions and other regulatory documents of other structural divisions;
- Approves uniform rules for holding competitions, contracts and contracts for positions in schools (faculties)( branches, departments (courses);
- Defines and submits to the Board of Founders a plan for the admission of university students;
- Considers personnel issues, holds a competition of applicants for the posts of professor and senior researcher at the suggestion of the Academic Council of structural divisions of the University (school (faculty), branch, etc.), considers questions about their early dismissal from the posts;
- Elects the heads of laboratories under the subordination of the department, school (faculty) and institute;
- Annually listens to the rector’s report on the University’s activities;
- Considers the issues of training specialists, academic and pedagogical personnel, their additional education, solves issues related to all academic and research work;
- Internally elect a secretary of the Council, establish commissions on education and science, socio-economic and economic activities, listen to their reports and makes a relevant decision;
- Organize the work of the Council, prepare meetings and monitor the implementation of decisions. The members of the Council elect an academic secretary from among its members;
- Periodically listens to the report of schools (faculties) on academic, research and educational work;
- Considers questions concerning assigning the academic titles “professor”, “associate professor”, ”chief researcher”, etc.;
- Represents university employees for the assignment of honorary titles and awards, orders and medals of the republic;
- Recognizes distinguished scientists, statesmen, public and political figures that are recognized in the country and the world and are awarded the titles “Honorary Doctor of the University” or “Honorary Professor of the University”;
- Awards University prizes for academic work and pedagogical activity;
- Approves curricula;
- Decides to publish textbooks, teaching aids, monographs, and curricula;
- Defines the rules for exams and evaluation criteria;
- Defines the rules for awarding scholarships under applicable regulations;
- Approves the councils' structure on the university’s education methodology, editing, publishing, and library;
- Nominates candidates for election to full and corresponding members of AMEA;
- In exceptional cases - in the absence of faculty’s academic councils - and in the case of conflicts, by the decision of the rector, associate professors, senior teachers and assistants, research workers are selected and issues on their early release are considered;
- Solves other issues entrusted by the Board of Founders.
- The Academic Council works according to the work plan provided for the school year and each semester. The work plan of the Academic Council is adopted at the meeting and approved by the rector.
- Decisions of the Academic Council on all issues of academic, scientific and educational work are made by a simple majority of votes in an open vote when choosing and withdrawing faculty when submitting for assignment of professors, associate professors, and honorary titles, results are received by secret ballot in the prescribed manner.
- Meetings of the Academic Council are held at least once every two months.
- For the Academic Council to make a decision, at least 2/3 of its members must participate in the meeting. The decision is considered to be made if more than 50% of the total number of participants in the Academic Council voted in favour of the issue under discussion.
- The decisions of the Academic Council come into force after the approval by the rector of the University.
- Meetings of the Academic Council are recorded, signed by the Chairman and Secretary of the Academic Council, and kept with the academic secretary.
- The Chairman of the Academic Council organizes a regular review concerning the implementation of the decisions of the Council and informs the members of the Council regarding the implementation of the decisions taken.
- Academic Council bears the responsibility to the Board of Founders for the exercise of the rights and obligations assigned to it.
- The decision of the University Academic Council can be cancelled by the Board of Founders if there are reasonable grounds to establish that the decision taken by the Academic Council is not objective and contrary to the law.
- This regulation comes into force from the date the Board of Founders of the University approves it.
- Additions and amendments to this Regulation may be made by the decision of the Board of Founders.